Saturday, March 13, 2010

H & M FRESH

I've been a huge H & M fan grrl ever since I went to Europe for the first time on a student exchange in the 10th grade.  Back then there was no H & M in Canada and fresh, fashion-forward style at student-friendly prices was rather harder to come by.  Every time I went back to Europe between then and 2004, when locations began to open in Canada, it would be one of the first stores I'd drop Euros at overseas. 

Fast forward.  I'm now 23 and H & M has ceased to be a big deal on my shopping radar for several years now.  Firstly, I like fast fashion as much as any girl (readily turned over trends with accessible price points - think H & M, Top Shop etc).  One of the biggest draws to the store was that you know you'd find something fresh at a good price.  I have no statistical data to back this claim up, but I do believe that the prices have risen along a trajectory that does not parallel the quality.  I can get better quality, and frankly even better design, at other stores for marginally more $$.  

Secondly, as I've grown up and my resources have increased my taste has become more refined and I've become a more discerning shopper.  Not only do I have a sharper eye for design now, but I also require that my clothes have a quality to them that I have not found at H & M in some years.  Even the designer collabs they've been doing have not been to my taste.  If I want designer style I'll go for quality as well, thanks.  I still look every time I'm around a location, but I rarely find anything with the design, quality and maturity I'm after now.  Now I buy less at better quality.  The 15 year old me and the 23 year old me have very different taste, as they should.

This morning I came across this this vid over at If You Seek Style.  It's blogger and Elin Klings assistant Columbine Smille trying on the latest from H & M.  From what I can tell from the video, which doesnt include really inspecting the design, fit and quality, the clothes look pretty fresh.  Next time I'm in TO I'll have to check it out and report back.

Behold:   


Thoughts?

  Xoxo
Erin 

No comments:

Post a Comment