Tuesday, March 16, 2010

How to wear a leather mini without looking like a hooker

So I have this really short black leather mini.

I mean.

NO, I REALLY DON'T DAD IF YOU'RE READING THIS.  I SWEAR.

Ok.  I digress. 

Knock knock.  Who the fuck banging at my door?  Is it abstract commercial or hardcore?

Where was I? 

Right.

Black leather mini.

The other day I was going through my closet in preparation for the change in season.  I bemoan nothing about the end of winter except that I consider(ed) it a season in which one does not sport leather so much.  The reason for this, Dear Readers, should be quite obvious.  However, a brain wave hit me like a ton of bricks this morning.  My google reader directed me over to a new post at  Columbine Smille's blog.  She posted a pic of herself in a black leather mini with a fresh, loose white top.  THAT IS SUCH A FRESH IDEA.  Why didn't I think of that?  I always considered leather something you wear with dark heavy knits or other winter garb.  You can totally take a black leather mini to summer by doin it rite like Columbine:

 

Although Columbine is doin it rite, it's a hard garment to wear without looking like a cheap hooker.  Exspensive hookers don't wear leather minis, at least not to work.

Firstly, consider that you have leather tightly wrapped around your ass.  Keep your top loose.  What Columbine is doing, a light knit, works for this time of year.  A cotton oxford in a size or two up from what actually fits you is super chill too.  You can get these oversized shirts cut for women.  If you're on a budget, and your BF/brother or Dad are not insanely bigger than yourself, borrow one from them.  Leave the top two or three buttons undone AND FOR GOD'S SAKE ROLL YOUR SLEEVES for a chic sexy look, but keep it classy Dear Readers.  Knock yourself out with colour as long as you stay out of hooker territory by keeping everything subdued (various shades of nudes or dust colours are particularly relevant).  I'll be doing this with an off white or nude/peach shirt.  Hell, you could even do a slightlty oversized and worn light jean shirt.  There are options dahlings.  I strongly suggest you consider your age and size when leafing through these options.

If it's not lined seriously consider wearing tights under it.  One, to not show too much skin HOBAG.  Secondly, because it will stick to your ass if you dont.  Trust this bitch knows what she's talkin' 'bout.

I tend to steer clear of vintage because I hate the old stuff smell.  Also, my schedule does not permit the time to dig through piles of crap to find something that needs tailoring.  HOWEVER, you can find real leather skirts at reputable vintage emporiums.  The benefit of vintage is that you can find a good enough quality leather skirt that is both real and lined and no longer at its original price point.  The old photos of my mother's friends - you know who you bitches are! - tell me these were pretty fierce in the 80s and early 90s, which is a spot on silhouette for this season.

With few exceptions this is very difficult to do with heels.  Take a cue from Columbine and keep the heel, if any, low.

Like your footwear, keep any accessories, makeup and hair simple.  Your ass wrapped in leather is enough adornment for one time. 

Now knock yourself out bitches.  Don't blame me you end up looking like a hooker.  I prepared you for success.

Xo
E.

No comments:

Post a Comment