Wednesday, March 10, 2010

However, CHLOE for the win

Ok.  Full stop.  Breath in.  Breath out.  There was good.  There was fucking awesome.  There was fucking awful.  I'm not going to go over the FUG because I'm already in a bad mood.  So lets talk about the good and the noteworthy. 

This collection hit a chord with me.  Not only was it (for the most part anyways) fabulous, but it oddly reminded me of my mother and the early 90s (and weirdly my Dad also, but we'll get to that later).  This early 90s revival thing has been going on for a while and, oddly, I'm kind of loving it.  And by "kind of" I mean YES. YES.  YES.     

Let's get to it, shall we:


This is something I would teeter through Yorkville (TO represent!) wearing.  Perhaps a trip to Holts to pick up a new Chanel lipstick or scope out bags.  Yes.  Just yes.

Also, I don't really look good so much in camel, but I'm on the prowl for a shade that looks good on me.  However, my mother has perfect colouring for it and owns a f.a.b.u.l.o.u.s. ankle length number.  This collection has her name written all over it.  Now, if I could just convince her that high fashion is PERFECT for her if done right.  This post might do it.  I will send her the link.    


Again, perfect.  This could be boring, but it's pure SEX.


The model's look, walk and hair are so FIERCE I can't hate on the ankle part of the pants.  I get it's high fashion and runway and blady-blah blah.  Someone will pull this off and look fabulous.  A lot of people will try and fail.  


TEXAS.  OIL.  MONEY.  My mother would rock this.  Also, me too (but with more skin showing as I'm 33 less years than her).  I have wicked (real Texas, none of this Steve Madden knock off crap) cowboy boots, a Cheap Monday mini Jean dress and a skinny belt.  All I need is a camel-coloured coat and BIG HAIR and we're golden.


So early 90s working woman, no?  Reminds me of a more chic Helen Mirren in early 90s Prime Suspect.  I don't look so good or feel so good in androgyny (I prefer legs, big hair and lipstick), but some women can pull it off wonderfully. 


This is the designer of Chloe, Hannah MacGibbon, taking her bow at the end of the show.  This is so bad its AWESOME.  It reminds of me of my Mom's friends in the early (....and...err...late 90s ;) Eva and Carol.  My Mom would never wear leather pants, but they would (I've seen it with my own two eyes).  If I wouldn't look like a sad panda in them I would too.     


Skinny belts for the win!  For a little too long now people have been doing the wide belt thing.  I've definitely retired mine.  I'm not sure if its a "charity bag" thing, or if I should hold on to them to be resurected in a few years.  Decisions, decisions. 

I digress....skinny belts....a lot more relevant right now.  I got an awesome black one at Aritzia with burnished gold hardwear (I shall have to discuss my new found love of gold in another post...) and I do think I'll be keeping my eyes open for a brown or camel one.

Tip for beltls:  go as high end/high quality as you can afford.  Yes, you can tell fake leather and shoddy workmanship by looking at them.  A good belt pulls your wardrobe together and makes you look polished.  I got two very good quality (oddly, from the Gap) belts with silver hardware when I was 15 (now 23) and they still look good and are still relevant.  They don't have to be Chloe, but they have to be good quality.  The Aritizia one I just got I have a feeling will be in my wardrobe forever.  The wide belts I got at Urban Outfitters....not so sure.  Quality folks.  Quality.  Lasts forever.      



I love.  I will have my eyes peeled for a good knock-off (ugg I hate the word!).  Zara will be knocking these off in 3...2....1...  However, Zara's quality is shit (and for some reason their stores look so sloppily cared for in their North American locations...things all over the place makes for a bad shopping experience) and while I often look, I rarely buy. 


OK.  BREATH IN.  BREATH OUT.  RELAX.  My glorious mother has two of these.  One in camel from Bree she got (I believe) in the mid-90s.  And one in black she got in the early 90s (that I "borrowed" for the longest time until she got me my Marc by Marc) that has no label, but is fabulous quality.  I will have to inform her that her bags are RELEVANT again. 

Mom, do you believe me about fashion yet?  Do you?  See, she's a fabulous dresser, but she whines and whines about how "fashion" isn't for her.  Yes, I think you are convinced. 



This shade of brown doesnt look good on me, BUT LOOK AT THE LEATHER.


Yes, yes, yes. 

Va-va-VOOM.  The HAIR.  Blow-outs are hot.  This is my new hair. 


I promised not to talk about the FUG from the collection, but there are worth an annotation.  Firstly, these are called "moon boots".  My Dad has had a pair since the 70s  that he used for shoveling the driveway (basically the only time he is ever in snow except to ski and even then he never wore such fugness in public to the hill).  Now you know why I said something in this collection reminded me of Dad.  How these were resurected from the annals of fashionland I have no idea.  Perhaps someone was looking through archives and found them.  Anyways.  This is nothing new, just a woman's take on something Moncler already resurrected for Menswear this season (fucking swell men's collection by the way).  I can stand behind the boots for men, but (again kind of like clogs and yellow makeup) why go there for women when there are so many other options for dry, warm feet?   


Some people would consider this in fug territory, but you know what?  I like it.  Fuck no, I LOVE it.  Just the right mixture of early 90s, fringe and chic.  I really hope Aritzia sells some swell knock offs.  Zara definitely will, but don't make me rant about Zara again.  Ok, I will.  I don't know why the rest of the world has not picked up that Zara, with some exceptions, looks cheap and the quality is crap.  I would not adorn my body with such common-ness (and we're not talking about price-point here). 

I need to get a really good summer job because I've got a feeling I'll be flexing my Visa at Holts come fall. 

I'm not waiting for fall to get on it.  I just need a good summer camel topper and I can put together a wicked outfit incorporating these ideas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment